Thursday, November 18, 2010

Personal Childhood Web

My mother was the most important person who cared about me throughout my childhood. She was not only my mother but my friend, and supporter. Although, I grew up in a home both my parents and three sisters and one brother. It was my mother who made sure that my sisters, brother, and me did not misbehave and stay in school. Education was important to my mother because she only recieved a ninth grader education. I remember my mother made sure that when birthdays came around, she would bake each one of my sisters,  brother, and me birthday cakes for our speical day. On Februrary 6, 2004, my mother passed away. I miss her a lot, but I thank her each day for raising me to be a respectful, caring, person. I know that she is watching, cheering, and smiling from heaven everyday because, I am pursuing and achieving my goals. Thanks, mom.

My grandmother and grandfather were the next caregivers who nutured and cared for me when I was a child. They were my mother's parents. My grandmother provided me with my cooking skills because she was a great cook. One of the things, I am proud she taught me how to cook was a family favorite "homemade caramel frosting cake." I am proud to say, I am the only one in the family today that can cook this cake. When my mother would not buy me something, my grandmother would. My grandfather were my father figure because my dad and me never got along well. My grandfather prepared with a lot of life skills that I use in today's society. He told, I should work for what I need and do not depend on people to give me anything, and remember thank God for my blessings, and I should put family first over materials things. I am thankful to have had my grandparents throughout my childhood. Although, my grandmother passed away three months after my mother died in 2004. Their memories will live forever in my heart.

My sisters and brother are special to me because we grew up to together and we are friends. I am proud to say that we  are still a very close family. In today's society, this is special. The media is always reporting family members fighting and killing each other. Although, we have our disagreements, we still love and support each other. My sisters and brother are proud of me because I am the first one in the family to recieve a college degree. They are supporting and cheering me on while I am studying for my Master degree. This helps me to know that they are there for me.

In the sixth grade, my home ex. teacher Mrs. Mildred Johnson taught me how to sew and how young girls suppose to be seen not heard. This statement is something that I always remembered when other girls would be loud and disrespectful in a crowd. Our young girls, in today's society would learn a lot on behaviour by using this statement, "young girls suppose to be seen not heard." Although, I do not care for sewing; when I graduated from high school. My first job was working at a sewing factory. My teacher, Mrs. Mildred Johnson taught me a skill that I could use to help me earn a living to support myself.

My childhood friend, Wendy Johnson. Wendy and I did so much together growing up. We had each other back no matter what. We were best friends throughout elementary and high school together, and throughout her death in 2008. I can still remember; the time we were in the fifth grade math class, and I did not know how to complete a math problem. Wendy helped me to understand how to complete this particular problem. I was proud she was my friend. It was the little things that she did out the goodness of her heart. I miss her a lot because; I could pick up the telephone and talk about nothing and she would listen. I know that she is looking down from heaven saying, " I still got your back."

5 comments:

  1. Very nice web!! I enjoyed reading it. I too have a grandmother with a secret recipe. My grandmother would make her own sauce. I am one of the lucky ones to know how to make it as well.

    I find it very interesting that you were so close to your friend Wendy. I admire the relationship. It is hard to stay in contact with friends from our childhood. Im sorry to hear about your loss, but I beleive we grow from every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. You seem to have a similar family as mine as we are also a close family. I have a brother and three sisters, and like you, I consider them my best friends and I have also found that it is special to have a close family. Many of the people around me are not as close to their siblings as I am, and they couldn't imagine being close to them. I think you and I are lucky to have such a close support system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tale, I remember my mom making the same atatement to us, "Gilrs should ......not heard." This is significant to me because when I travel on the bus with school children, hearing their conversation and the volume of their voices is ridiculous. I am glad to know you still hold on to this.
    Your grand parents were an addition to helping you acquire the skills in your development. It is very fortunate that you had one. I didn't. They brought a new kind of experiences in the family; stories, traditions, and a rich history. Let us remember our role as teachers to provide the opportunity for our children to acquire the skills needed so that they can fit well in society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talae, it is great to know that your grandparents continued to provide that nurturance after mom died. We truly need trust-worthy people in our lives to ensure we acquire the necessary competencies in life. Many adults who were allowed into the lives of some of our young people have violated them. There has been an invasion of their privacy as individuals and as such it is difficult for some of the young children to trust adults. As professionals we need to be able to detect the warning signs and take steps to avert or reduce the negative rippling effect that is likely to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talae
    I appreciate the manner in which you related how your family structure was such an inspiration to you as well as your best friend. I can relate to so much of what you shared.
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete