Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Professional Hopes and Goals

One hope that you have when you think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds

One hope that I have when thinking about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that I am able to understand the families and children that I meet, and I am able to make them feel comfortable and welcome in the learning environment.

One goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice:

Coming into this class with limited knowledge about diversity; it has taught me that early childhood professionals need to be trained in diversity, equity, and social justice. Without training, our early childhood professionals will not be prepared or aware of all the different concepts that involve diversity. In addition, this training will teach our early childhood professionals to accept differences in today's society.

A brief note of thanks to your colleagues

I want to take the time out to thank my colleagues for your support. I learned a lot from interacting and reading your discussions and blogs. Your comments and feedback were helpful, and I am looking forward to working again with all of you. The journey continues!

Take Care!


 

4 comments:

  1. Talae,

    I was so glad to have another class with you. It is always great to have a familiar face in each class and share experiences and grow together. I hope we continue this journey together.

    I too had very limited knowledge on diversity, and this class as been a real eye opener as well as a struggle as I was forced to confront my own beliefs head on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talae,
    Thanks for your insights throughout the course!

    Yes! Making children and families feel comfortable is a step in the right direction towards equity and social justice. When children and families feel respected and comfortable they develop a feeling of connection, nurturance and support to the teachers, as well as the educational setting (NAEYC 1995, 2).
    It was a pleasure working with you and I hope to see you in the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talae,
    I agree that we must provide a welcoming environment for children and their families. Throughout this course I have followed your blogs and I enjoyed the insights that you shared regarding to diversity and equity. Providing a child with a safe environment will allow each child to blossom and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talae,
    I do agree that training is required. Many persons believe that early childhood teachers so not necessarily need much training but we need to be reminded that early childhood is the foundation for children’s development and if the foundation is weak the rest of the structure will crumble. Training is required so that all children especially those from minority background have a chance at succeeding.

    ReplyDelete