Saturday, November 26, 2011

Who am I as a Communicator

This week assignment was very interesting and intriguing. My evaluators includes my sister and friend. All of the three assessments produced the same results. However, the communication anxiety inventory scores were slightly different. My communication anxiety score fell into the moderate category, and my sister and friend scores fell into the mild category. This surprise me the most because I am pertified to speak in front of a large crowd. I perfer to speak in a smaller crowd. I have always been shy and quiet, but since I have grown up; I have made remarkable improvements to overcome this problem.

One insight I gained this week is that I am empathetic listener and concerned with emotions for others. The listening styles results also helped me to learn that I am people oriented, too. This can be very helpful while working in the early childhood field because families and children needs us to be good and caring listeners. The final insight I gained is that communication is important to everyone concerned.

3 comments:

  1. Talae,
    Like you I am a very shy and quite person. It takes a lot for me to get up and speak in front of a crowd of people. My stomach knots up and I get nervous. I always wonder how I sound and if those listeners understood me because of my nervousness. In order to be effective communicators and have a lasting impact on the lives of people who cross our path, we are going to have to overcome this barrier so that we can spread positive message to crowds of people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talae, I also am terrified to speak in front of people. I use to get so nervous that I would break out into hives all over my body!! I had the same results in which other's who completed the evaluation regarding my anxiety. I think your insight regarding communication and it's very importance is one that will make you a better communicator and a more effective professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talae,
    At times we are our hardest critic and that may have accounted for the moderate score you attained. This exercise is allowing us to identify our strengths as well as our weaknesses so we can take steps to improve our level of competencies. I think it is an excellent activity because it will benefit us on a personal as well as a professional level. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete